Sacramento Social Security Disability Appeal Lawyer
If your claim for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits has been denied, or if you are simply considering filing for benefits, it is crucial to have experienced legal counsel at your side. Simply put, the earlier you hire an attorney to represent you in your disability claim, the better your chances are at receiving these benefits. For more than 20 years, the Law Office of Barbara M. Jacobson has helped people in California and Oregon through the disability claims process. Our law firm is ready to take decisive action on your behalf.
The information below is a brief outline of the steps in the SSD process.
- Initial application: If your initial application is denied, you have the right to a request for reconsideration. You must make this request within 60 days of the date of your denial.
- Request for reconsideration: The request for reconsideration should clarify why the Social Security Administration (SSA) erred in denying your claim. It should be supported by medical evidence. If the SSA denies your request for reconsideration, you have 60 days from the denial to request a hearing.
- Hearing: The next step in the process is a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ). If you have new evidence to support your disability claim, you should file this evidence within 10 days of when you file your request for a hearing. If, after your hearing, your claim is denied, you can then request a review with the Appeals Council. You must make this request within 60 days of the hearing decision.
- Appeals Council: The Appeals Council will review your case and take one of three actions. It will approve your claim, deny your claim, or return your case to the ALJ for further review. If your claim is denied, the next step is to take your claim to federal court.
- Complaint in federal court: You have 60 days after your Appeals Council denial to bring a case to federal court.
Our law firm will work diligently to present the strongest possible claim as to why you should receive benefits.
Contact the Law Office of Barbara M. Jacobson
We offer a free initial consultation. Call us at 916-921-5285 or complete our contact form today to get started.